One question we get a lot here at Hungry Fan® is if grilling salmon on a plank is worth the effort. The short answer is YES. The long answer is yes, and with the recipe below, you’ll be good to go. As just to sell it further… We once had a tailgate guest tell us they didn’t eat fish. Well, after his second helping of this salmon, this person literally ate his words.
- 1-2 cedar planks
- 2 pounds salmon fillet
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 heads caramelized garlic
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Caramelized (or roasted) garlic is easy to make and only requires a garlic bulb, salt and a spoonful of olive oil. Here’s how you do it:
- Preheat your oven onto 300 degrees F.
- Trim the top 1/4 off the garlic bulb and then pour the olive oil and salt on top. Use a brush as desired to evenly distribute the oil and salt. Wrap the garlic bulb in foil.
- Place the foil-wrapped garlic in the oven. Cook for 1 hour. (It squeezes out like a condiment)!!!
- Soak the cedar planks in salted water for at least an hour.
- Mix the olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, and caramelized garlic in a bowl. Set aside.
- Turn on your grill on high.
- Place the salmon on the plank and then the plank on the grill.
- Dust the salmon with salt and pepper.
- After grilling the fish for 5 minutes, baste it with the garlic sauce.
- Finish grilling the fish with the lid closed for another 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.