We partnered with Smithfield to gear up (pun intended) for the kickoff of the NASCAR season, the Daytona 500. In getting ready for one of the greatest races of the NASCAR season, we created this take on breakfast tacos done 2 ways: One with tasty ham & breakfast sausage and another with 2 ways of cooking your eggs.
Serves 1 (2 tacos)
- 1/4 cup Smithfield Anytime Favorites Cubed Ham
- 1 Smithfield Hometown Original Breakfast Sausage patty
- 2 russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat (you can also use butter)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Black pepper
TIME SAVER PRO TIP: Looking for a potato short cut? No worries. Wrap your spuds in wet paper towels and microwave for 6 minutes.
NOTES: Smithfield Anytime Favorites ham saves you from having to prepare a full spiral ham. The Anytime Favorites line includes 20 different cuts including sliced, diced, chops and steaks – for an ideal solution for a quick and easy meal anytime of the day. The Hometown Original Sausage Patties also comes as links and rolls. Each variety is made with premium quality pork, and they’re gluten free and contain no MSG, so you can feel good indulging in this savory staple.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and bake on a baking sheet for 60 minutes. Once done, remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Once cool, cut the potatoes in half the long way and then use a dinner spoon (AKA tablespoon AKA soup spoon) to scrape out their innards, leaving only a thin wall of potato and the skin. Score the middle of each potato half the long way, essentially cutting each half into half again but without cutting through the skin. (These are your taco sides).
- Grease the bottom of a plate or skillet and press it down on each scored potato half to make what looks like flat potato pancakes (or tortillas!).
- Add the bacon fat in to a large skillet over medium heat. Use this to fry the potato “tortillas”, potato-interior-side-down, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside and keep warm. (You can put in the oven to keep warm while you cook the sausage, ham and eggs).
- Add the canola oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Then add in the sausage patties and cubed ham pieces. Sear until browned. Remove from heat.
- To make your eggs:
– We like the sausage served with a fried egg (but you can certainly use the recipe for the cheesy scrambled eggs below). To fry an egg, simply use the skillet you used for your sausage and ham, crack an egg, and let it cook without disturbing the yolk. Cook to desired doneness.
– To make your egg scramble, whisk 2 eggs in a medium bowl with 2 teaspoons of sour cream. Pour into the skillet you used for your sausage and ham and cook, stirring the eggs frequently to scramble. Cook to desired doneness. Then top with a healthy amount of ham cubes and your desired amount of cheddar cheese and throw your (oven-friendly) skillet under the broiler for a couple minutes to melt the cheese.
- To plate:
– Top one scored potato half with 1 fried egg and 1 sausage patty, quartered. Garnish with fresh black pepper and hot sauce if desired.
– Top the the second scored potato half with your egg, ham and cheese scramble. Garnish with fresh black pepper and hot sauce if desired.
- Serve! (If making this dish for more than one person, simply up the amount of ingredients accordingly. The amount above is for 1).