This recipe is actually best made when you can marinate the pork overnight and grill it. But if you find yourself closer to T-minus 3 hours ’til game time and you’re just getting started, take a short cut and marinate for 30-60 minutes and grill if you can. If you can’t, pan sauté or even a quick bake will suffice.
The sauce is immensely flavorful and while it is best to let the pork marinate in its own goodness for a while, it’ll still taste great when made and eaten on the same day!
- 2 – 2 ½ lbs boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed off
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup fresh pineapple, roughly chopped
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- 2 dried guajillo peppers, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup Pomì tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp achiote paste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ to ½ medium red onion, cut into thin rounds
- 2-3 pineapple rounds
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Fresh lime slices for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add in the garlic and sauté for about 1-2 minutes, turning frequently until it browns.
- Add in your oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes, clove and guajillo peppers and sauté for another minute.
- Then add in ½ cup roughly chopped pineapple, vinegar, water and achiote paste and bring the mixture to boil.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, add in your salt and pour your mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place your pork into a large zip top bag and add in your marinade.
- Seal and mix around so the pork is well coated.
- Place into the fridge and let marinate overnight (or for a minimum of 6 hours).
- Grill your pork over medium to medium-high heat until cooked through and you’ve got grill marks on the outside.
- As your pork grills, grill the pineapple rounds and onion rounds (optional).
- Remove pork, pineapple and onions from the grill and let sit 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice your pork and chop your pineapple into 1/4” chunks.
- To serve your taco, top a tortilla with a nice serving of pork, top with pineapple and onion.
- Garnish with cilantro.