Ok all you meat-loving sports fans! Yes you! You don’t always have to grill burgers at your tailgate! How about meatloaf? Everyone loves meatloaf. It’s such a comfort food everyone’s moms made it for them growing up.
This is my mom’s recipe. It’s great for family dinners at home or jazzed up on the tailgating grill before the game!
- 2 pounds chopped meat (sirloin, turkey, veal or chicken)*
- 1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-2 cups organic sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (depends on how cheesy you like it.)*I prefer grass-fed meats and free-range poultry.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- COMBINE all ingredients except the cheese in a bowl.
- PLACE half the meat mixture in a loaf pan.
- LAYER the cheese on top of the meat and then top with the rest of the meat.*
- BAKE for 45 minutes. Check doneness before you remove. (You can also bake the meatloaf for about 40 minutes and finish on the tailgating grill, grill marks and all)!
*You can also add a layer of ketchup atop the meatloaf before baking for added color and flavor!