Chicken and waffles is a game day staple. Love ’em love ’em love ’em. And because it’s a combination of fried chicken and a favorite breakfast baked good, the recipe lends itself well to an early game (tailgate) meal. As part of my partnership with HEB and their Totally Texas line of products, I decided to jazz up my standard recipe with their Brown Sugar Glaze, because it’s arguably yummier than maple syrup and is the perfect compliment to this dish!
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Splash of whole milk
- 4 thin-sliced chicken breasts or 8 chicken tenderloins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil, plus more as needed
- 3 Eggo waffles (I like original or Homestyle)
- 1 10 oz pouch HEB Brown Sugar Glaze
- Panko Mixture
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Combine all the ingredients for the panko mixture in a large shallow bowl and mix well. Combine the egg and milk in another shallow bowl. Dunk each chicken tenderloin in the egg mixture before coating them completely in the panko mixture.
- In a large skillet, add in the oil over medium heat. Add the coated chicken and pan-fry them over medium to medium-high heat, making sure to flip them, until both sides are browned and the chicken is cooked through, 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Warm your waffles, preferably in a toaster oven or low oven so they’re warm but still have a bit of texture.
- Sandwich your chicken between waffles, alternating to form a stack with a layer of chicken on top. Drizzle generously with the brown sugar glaze and serve.