We always find after eating something salty, it’s always great to finish out the meal with something sweet. (And a lot of game day food do fall on the salty side). These lemony sweet treats are sure to please! And because they’re small, you won’t have to feel too too guilty eating them. They’re mostly fruit right? Also, they look super spiffy—like you’re a certified, bona fide pastry chef. But they’re actually really easy to make and your friends will never have to know!
- Athens Mini Fillo Shells
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs + 4 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup blueberries and blackberries to garnish
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- In a small saucepan, stir together lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and salt. Set over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat together 3 eggs and 4 egg yolks. Whisk it very well.
- When the liquid on the stove is ready, slowly pour some of it into the bowl with the eggs, whisking constantly. I usually pour in about half, but you can do more or less. This is called tempering the eggs.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the rest of the eggs while stirring. If you don’t stir you may curdle your eggs.
- Continue to whisk pretty constantly over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened. When you drag your whisk over the top of the mixture, it should leave marks.
- Pour the curd through a mesh strainer into a new bowl (or the same one, washed). Unless you are an expert curd maker, you will probably have a few solid egg pieces in there, which is totally okay! Just strain them out.
- Stir the chopped butter into the lemon curd until it’s completely melted. This is a good time for a large spoonful of hot lemon curd.
- Press a square of plastic wrap directly on top of the lemon curd. If you just cover the bowl, you will get a film on your curd.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 2-4 hours. It will thicken up some as it cools. (This keeps in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks).
- When ready, place 1 tbs of lemon curd into the fillo cup. Top with a blueberry or blackberry and a little bit of lemon zest.