Should find yourself in bored during a weekend in Athens, Georgia, home of the Georgia Bulldogs, you simply aren’t trying hard enough. College football, tailgating, or just hangin’ on the porch making sorbet, it’s all so sweet. Georgia is a peach and this sorbet is made outta them. Our idea of a good time? This sorbet, some football, maybe a little wine to go with it…yessss.
- 1.5 pounds of fresh peaches, sliced
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup Reisling or sweet white wine
- 1 tbsp fresh grated orange peel
Serve simple sorbets like this one with candied citrus peels. To make these, follow these steps:
- Skin a citrus fruit, removing the pith
- Slice the peel into little matchsticks and simmer in simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water) over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Let cool on a plate.
- Using a food processor, blend the peaches and lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the sugar into the boiling water. (You can also add the sugar into the water while it’s still boiling on the stove and then transfer to a large mixing bowl).
- Pour the peach mixture into the bowl. Stir well. Then add the wine and orange peel.
- Pour into a 9″ dish or pyrex and freeze for 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer, remove contents from pan and blend in the food processor until smooth.
- Return the sorbet to the 9” dish and cover. Return the sorbet to the freezer until you are ready to serve.