Let’s talk about the salad that’s been at tailgates and at-home barbecues from seemingly the beginning. Why has it lasted the test of time? Because it’s portable, inexpensive and of course delicious. Here’s one of my favorite pasta salad recipes.
- 1 box of rotini pasta
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 large broccoli crown, cut down into florets
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 box of organic cherry tomatoes, halved
- Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
- ½ – ¾ cup of feta cheese
- Boil hot water with a sprinkle of salt.
- Cook the rotini pasta until al dente, strain, and set aside, letting cool to room temperature.
- In a skillet, sauté (1-2 tbsp. of olive oil) the garlic and onion until the onions are translucent.
- Quickly add in the broccoli florets, a small pinch of salt, and sauté, stirring often, until the broccoli becomes very green. Do not burn or caramelize the broccoli.
- Set aide and let cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl combine a quarter cup of olive oil with the mustard and white wine vinegar.
- Whisk until emulsified. Sprinkle with black pepper. (add more mustard or vinegar to taste).
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Toss well and serve.