For the last two years, we’ve had the distinct honor of hosting the Hungry Fan Throwdown at the Pocono Raceway Fan Fest. To find our competitors, we head into the Infield looking for noteworthy setups, fun personalities, and also–and most importantly–some cooking know-how.
This year, we ran into a group of fangaters hailing from the great plains of New Jersey. These guys had the most aggressive setup we witnessed all day (2 full bars, full outdoor kitchen, multiple dining tables and seating for what seemed like 50 people). They invited us over to eat some lunch, and this divine, amazing creation is what they were serving.
Warning: There is no conceivable way this is a low-calorie meal. This recipe is enough for twelve average eaters, or six lumberjacks.
- 1 dozen Thumann’s Jumbo Frankfurters
- 1 dozen sesame seed steak buns
- 1 pound salted butter
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 pound shredded cheddar
- salt & pepper
WARNING: Consuming more than 2 of these might put you to sleep immediately.
To Make The Stuffing (Can be done ahead)
- Skin potatoes.
- Boil potatoes in boiling water for 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the hot potatoes. Then add half of the butter and mix until well combined.
- Finally, add all of the cheddar and set aside.
To Prepare The Hot Dog
- Grill the hot dogs to desired doneness.
- Butter and toast buns.
- Heat the mashed potatoes.
- To serve, slather a healthy layer of the mashed potatoes on the inside of each bun. Then place a hot dog in the middle, top with desired condiments (if any).