Quite literally there is a national food-something-day daily. Did you know that National Deviled Eggs Day comes the day before National Sandwich Day? Two food favorites back to back! NICE!
In honor of both national food holidays, we decided to basically smash them both together. And since a deviled egg smashed up is basically egg salad, the dish seemed obvious. But we hate obvious so we added some extra pizzazz in the form of prosciutto!
- 6 XL eggs, hardboiled*
- ½ cup prosciutto, cut into small chunks
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp Harissa, optional
- 1 1/3 cups Lascinato kale, sliced into thin shreds
- 4 slices red onion
- 8 sundried tomatoes in oil, optional
- 8 slices 7-grain bread, lightly toasted
- Add the hardboiled eggs into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Use a fork or potato masher to roughly mash the eggs.
- Add in prosciutto, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, parsley, chives (and Harissa if using it).
- Mix well.
- Top a slice of bread with a large dollop of egg salad and spread over the bread.
- Top with the kale, onion, and other bread slice.