Going to school in Durham, North Carolina, our founder, Daina, quickly became aware that almost everyone who lives in Durham has the same favorite restaurant — Bullock’s BBQ.
It’s truly an institution not only because the food is just so darn tasty, but also because it’s Durham’s longest continuous running restaurant, having opened its doors in 1952.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (i.e. Tabasco)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- Pulled pork or chicken*
- Cole slaw
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Drench the pulled pork or chicken in the sauce.
- Serve atop a bun, topped with cole slaw. You can always drizzle a little extra BBQ sauce on the bun as well.