Sigh. Summer’s nearly over! While summer doesn’t officially end until Sept. 22nd, for most of us, Labor Day is it as we all return to school and work from our vacations. Thus, Labor Day Weekend is last hurrah–the last major day for a backyard grilling shindig, tailgate or picnic. What better way to celebrate than with some deliciously sharable grilled pork sliders? I whipped this recipe up with Smithfield’s Roasted Garlic & Herb Marinated Fresh Boneless Center Cut Pork Chops.
- 4 Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork Roasted Garlic & Herb Boneless Center Cut Pork Chops
- 1/2 to 3/4 large red onion, cut into thin (1/4″) rounds
- 2 fresh peaches, pit removed and sliced first into 1/2″ rounds and then sliced into quarters (each 1/2″ round will yield 4 pieces)
- 8 Hawaiian bread rolls, separated into tops and bottoms
- 8 medium-to-large basil leaves
- Store-bought balsamic glaze, to taste
- Prep you grill by lightly brushing the grates with some oil before bringing the up to medium heat.
- Once at temperature, add your pork and onion rounds to the grill. The onions will cook up fairly quickly (about 6-8 minutes). Be sure to flip them over at least once. Remove onions from grill.
- Grill your pork for approximately 6-10 minutes per side.
- As your pork nears completion, add your buns, inside-side down, to the grill. (Optional: you can brush the bun insides with a little extra virgin olive oil if you’d like but it’s not necessary for toasting your buns on the grill). Toast your buns until they have a nice char–but are not burned. You’re going for the texture of toasted but not blackened. (Also optional: consider grilled the tops of the top buns as well). Remove from heat.
- When the pork is finished cooking, remove from the grill. On a cutting board, carefully slice the chops into smaller pieces that will more easily fit atop your slider buns.
- To build your slider, drizzle your balsamic glaze atop the bottom bun. Top with grilled onions, your basil leaf, pork pieces, peach slices and the top bun. Serve with some (optional) additional balsamic glaze on on side.
- Enjoy! Makes 8 Sliders