Peach Rhubarb Sauce
We featured this sauce in our July 4th BBQ spareribs recipe but we had to single it out because it's just so damn delicious. Capturing the flavors of summer with a nice kick of habanero pepper, this sauce is tasty not only for ribs but atop just about any protein! Heck even tofu for you vegetarians and vegans out there! Keep it chunky or purée it, it's up to you. You'll definitely want it in your Summer BBQ arsenal. (And make extra so you can freeze some to carry it on into fall and winter too!)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 small shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, sliced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups peaches, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. habanero hot sauce
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add in the garlic and shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add in all the remaining sauce ingredients and stir well.
- Reduce heat to simmer and let cook for 12 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat and then mash the peaches and rhubarb with a potato masher. Give the sauce a good stir and then set aside. (I like my sauce chunky but if you prefer it smooth, feel free to purée it).