Before I head out on vacation for a little (much-needed) R&R, I thought I’d leave you all with a recipe I plan on preparing this weekend for my family and friends while we sun and fun at the beach. It’s easy to make and it basically cooks itself.
By using a slow cooker or crock pot, you can essentially start the cooking process, head outside and enjoy yourself all day, come back in, shower up, and dinner is ready. Just like clockwork! Did I mention it’s delicious?
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 1/2 a yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of cola*
- 1.5 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. of liquid smoke (optional)
- 1.5 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. of black pepper
- Cayenne pepper to taste (1-2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2 pounds trimmed brisket (be sure to keep some fat on it–about 1/4 inch).
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup yellow onions, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the dry ingredients (garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, brown sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper).
- Rub these onto your brisket.
- Then sprinkle with some freshly ground black pepper.
- Then combine the brisket, most of the BBQ sauce that you made already and the diced onions in the slow cooker or crock pot. (I like to keep a little BBQ sauce behind so that I can pour it on my brisket once I’ve got it on the bun).
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours or until the brisket is soft, tender, and can easily be picked apart with a fork.
- Once the brisket is cooked, serve it on a (whole wheat) bun and with whatever fixins’ you like!
- In a skillet, sauté the onions in the butter over low-medium heat until brown and caramelized.
- Take heat down to a simmer and add all other ingredients.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. (It will reduce).