- 32 oz peanut oil
- 32 oz bag Ore-Ida tater tots
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 10 oz sour cream
- 5 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 block medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt & pepper, to taste
The key to making a deep fried dish taste fresh and not be greasy is the temperature of your oil. The more consistant the temperature of the oil is, the better. So if you hare putting in frozen items, work them in in batches and allow the fry oil to come back to temp between batches.
- In a large frying pan, heat the peanut oil 375 degrees F.
- Gently drop in the tater tots and cook for 5 minutes, or to desired doneness. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place atop a paper towel.
- While the tots are still hot, move them to a large metal bowl and toss together with all of the remaining ingredients.
- To finish, empty the bowl’s contents onto a platter lined with wax or parchment paper. Serve with hot sauce on the side.