- 3 pounds mussels, cleaned
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts or walnuts
- 2 oz shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup olive oil
To clean the mussels, place your haul in a colander and then place under cold water. Scrub the outside of their shells with a wire brush or with steel wool. Discard any mussels that have opened up.
To Make the Pesto
- Add all the ingredients—except for the olive oil—into a blender. Pulse 7 times.
- Slowly add in the olive oil while the blender is on low. Continue blending until the oil is fully mixed in. Remove from the blender.
To Make the Mussels
- Fill a large pot or Dutch oven (big enough to hold all of your mussels) with water, 1 inch deep. Bring to a boil.
- Place in the lot of the mussels.
- Cook until mussels open their shells (7-10 minutes).
- Turn the heat off and drain the water our of the pot or Dutch oven. Then pour the pesto atop the hot mussels. Toss gently and serve immediately.