C’mon, be serious. Guacamole is one of the most delicious foods on the planet. But as we discovered while tinkering around in the kitchen in preparation for an afternoon of World Cup viewing, guac can be so much better with bacon!
- 4 small garlic cloves, finely minced (or less if you’re not so much into the garlic)
- 1 tbsp. poblano pepper, finely minced (or more if you like it hot; you can also use a spicier pepper if you prefer)
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large avocados
- The juice of 1 large lime
- 1 vine-ripe or heirloom tomato, diced
- 5 pieces of thick-cut bacon, cooked and diced (I like mine crispy–it gives the guac crunch)
- Dice bacon and place bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat, cook until crisp about 7 minutes, remove drain and set aside.
- In a bowl add avocados, a pinch of pepper and salt, lime juice and mix well. Add cilantro, jalapeño, tomatoes, mix well and fold in bacon and set aside.
The dip can be prepared ahead of time and kept refrigerated. Just try to limit the making ahead to no more than a day, else the guac will sadly start to brown.