Classic Tailgate Pasta Salad
Lets talk about the salad thats been at tailgates from seemingly the beginning. Why has it lasted the test of time? Because it's portable, inexpensive and of course delicious. Here's one of my favorite pasta salad recipes.
1 box of rotini pasta
2 chicken breasts
1 large broccoli crown, cut down into florets
1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
Fresh basil, roughly chopped
1 box of organic cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
½ – ¾ cup of feta cheese
- Boil hot water with a sprinkle of salt.
- Cook the rotini pasta until al dente, strain, and set aside, letting cool to room temperature.
- In a skillet, sauté (1-2 tbsp. of olive oil) the garlic and onion until the onions are translucent.
- Quickly add in the broccoli florets, a small pinch of salt, and sauté, stirring often, until the broccoli becomes very green. Do not burn or caramelize the broccoli.
- Set aide and let cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl combine a quarter cup of olive oil with the mustard and white wine vinegar.
- Whisk until emulsified. Sprinkle with black pepper. (add more mustard or vinegar to taste).
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Toss well and serve.