This is a quintessential, go-to summer barbecue recipe that features two of our favorite summer fruits, peach and rhubarb. When these fruits are cooked down and mixed into our homemade, tangy BBQ sauce and then slathered onto Smithfield’s Prime St. Louis Style Spareribs, you’ll find that you’ve got yourself a mouthwatering, lip-smacking dish! Your friends & family will love this whether you’re in the backyard cooking out or in the parking lot tailgating before the game.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 small shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, sliced into 1/4″ pieces
- 1 1/2 cups peaches, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. habanero hot sauce
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Racks of St. Louis Style Ribs
To Make the Sauce
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add in the garlic and shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add in all the remaining sauce ingredients and stir well.
- Reduce heat to simmer and let cook for 12 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat and then mash the peaches and rhubarb with a potato masher. Give the sauce a good stir and then set aside. (I like my sauce chunky but if you prefer it smooth, feel free to purée it).
To Make the Ribs
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F and line a high-edged baking sheet with foil.
- Pour water into the bottom of the foil (about 1/4″ deep). Top with the spareribs. Sprinkle the top of the spareribs with a healthy dash of salt, pepper and garlic; then seal the ribs in foil. (You want them fully wrapped in foil).
- Cook the ribs in the oven for 90 minutes. Remove from the oven, slather the ribs with some sauce, add more water if necessary, and reseal the ribs in foil. Return to the oven for another 90 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Slather the ribs (now removed from the oven for the second time) with more sauce. Grill for 8-10 minutes per side on the grill and then serve with any leftover sauce on the side!