Spring and summertime means it’s time to get outdoors (finally!) and get grilling! It means celebrating the colorful and flavorful foods of summer such as corn, peppers, and tasty, smoky-flavored (think BBQ) proteins. In the spirit of this, we teamed up with our friends at Smithfieldto bring you a delicious and easy-to-make at home or in the parking lot dish to share with your friends or tailgate buds. With your input on Instagram (thanks for voting in our IG Stories poll!), we grabbed a gorgeous Smithfield Slow Smoked Mesquite Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet, fired up the grill, and whipped up this tasty dish in 30 minutes!
This recipe makes use of the pork loin, but you can certainly try other cuts of pork, including pork roasts, loin filets, chops, ribs, sirloins, or tenderloins. Whatever you choose, we prefer Smithfield because they use 100% fresh pork with no artificial ingredients. (Plus, we do love our protein).
PRO TIP: Folks tend to like to assemble around an active grill so don’t keep them waiting! Smithfield’s tasty marinated fresh pork preparations are already seasoned and prepped, making your life super easy. And bonus, the pork loin filets cook pretty easily on the grill, especially when sliced! If you are going to slice the pork though, just beware not to overcook the pork! If you don’t have a grill, fear not! You can still make this recipe by roasting your pork, corn and veggies, for instance. You can also sauté and slow-cook the pork and veggies (though, in this instance, we do recommend boiling the corn).
This recipe makes 4 hearty servings.
- 1 package Smithfield Slow Smoked Mesquite Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/4” rounds
- 1 red Bell pepper, cut into quarters (as flat as possible)
- 1 jalapeño (optional), finely diced
- 1 lime, halved for juicing
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro (plus more as needed for garnish), finely chopped
- 1 – 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 ears corn, cleaned
- Coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup finely grated Cotija cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp chipotle sauce
BONUS PRO TIP: Watch this recipe get made on our Instagram page and follow us for more great video recipes!
- Oil and preheat your grill.
- Brush each corn on the cob with vegetable oil. (Salt and pepper if desired). Then wrap each ear of corn individually in aluminum foil. Place on the grill and turn frequently, until the corn is tender (about 15-20 minutes). Remove from grill and let cool until you can hold an end of an ear with your fingers.
- While the corn is cooking, place the whole pork loin filet on the grill. Let cook, flipping to achieve grill marks on all sides, until the inside temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Remove from grill and let sit at least 5 minutes. Then slice into 1/4” – 1/2” thick pieces. (You can also slice into strips if desired). Season as desired with coarse salt and set aside.
- Also while the corn cooks, space permitting on your grill, place the onions and red pepper pieces on the grill. Season with coarse salt as desired and cook until tender with grill marks on both sides. Remove from grill.
- Using a sharp knife, shave each side of the cooked ears of corn and collect in a bowl. Use your fingers to break the sides of corn up into individual cooked corn kernels. Set aside.
- Dice the red pepper slices into 1/2” – 1” squares. Set aside.
- Finely chop the cooked red onions. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Cotija cheese, hot sauce and chipotle sauce. Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your cooked corn kernels, diced red peppers, chopped red onions, jalapeño pieces, and cilantro. Then add in the mayonnaise sauce and the juice of your lime.
- To plate, spoon the corn mixture into a bowl, top with pork slices, an extra sprinkle of Cotija cheese, an extra splash of hot sauce or chipotle sauce as desired, and extra cilantro for garnish.
Our partners at Smithfield are encouraging at-home cooks to get grilling all summer long and bring out their inner pitmaster with their “Get Grilling America” sweepstakes.
From now through September 4, 2019, head HERE and share how Smithfield Fresh Pork helps you become the hero of your grill for a chance to win $5,000!
In addition to entering the sweepstakes, by clicking above you can check out tips and how-to videos from award-winning champion pitmasters, and play daily instant win games for a chance to win hundreds of prizes including grilling tools, cookbooks and more!
For more sweepstakes information, grilling tips and recipes, visit www.SmithfieldGetGrilling.com.
* * *
You can find the pork we used in this recipe at select grocery stores and retailers nationwide, including ShopRite, Food Lion, Publix, Albertsons/Safeway, Save a Lot and Walmart.