We can’t get enough of grilling during the spring and summertime, especially when it comes to summer homegates and baseball and NASCAR tailgates. This recipe was actually inspired by one of our Hungry Fan Throwdown teams’ cook-off dishes at last year’s NASCAR Fan Fest at the Pocono Raceway. (We’ll be back again this summer and can’t wait to see what our new teams will cook up)!
We took the Throwdown hot dog recipe and put our own spin on it, including adding in our favorite preparation of turkey, the Great American Turkey Co.’s Cheddar + Beer Turkey Sausages. The sausages are essentially brats, but made of high-quality turkey…and they had us at cheddar + beer. (You can absolutely taste both when you bite into one of these sausages). Aside from the great taste and texture (they aren’t mealy at all and totally remind us of the sausages we’re more familiar with), we really like the turkey brats because they contain no antibiotics, msg, gluten or preservatives. So while you’re cooking up game day food, it’s actually healthy and high quality. We dig that.
PRO TIP: Don’t be afraid to cook in a skillet on the grill. It works just as well as a skillet on your range at home!
This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 1 package Great American Turkey Co. Cheddar + Beer Turkey Sausages
- Red cabbage, separated into 4 individual leaves
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into half moons about 1/4” thick
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Banana peppers, to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 mg beer, or more to taste
- 4 potato hot dog buns
- Brown mustard, to taste
BONUS PRO TIP: Watch this recipe get made on our Instagram page and follow us for more great video recipes!
- Oil and preheat your grill.
- Add the vegetable oil to a medium or large skillet atop your grill. Add in your onions and sauté until the onions are translucent and start to brown. Add in half the beer (a good splash if you don’t feel like measuring—but not enough to fill the entire bottom of the skillet) and continue to caramelize the onions for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add into the skillet with the onions the 4 brats that come in a package. Add in the rest of the beer (another good splash) and sauté, move the onions on and around the brats. Cover as needed to help the brats cook, making sure not to burn the onions. Remove from heat when the brats are fully cooked. Set aside the onions.
- Optional Step: You can at this point remove the brats from the heat, along with the onions, leaving the remaining beer jus in the bottom of the skillet. Place your cabbage leaves into the skillet and let wilt a bit in the hot beer “jus” over the grill’s heat. This will make it easier to do the next step, but just a bit messier.
- Using toothpicks to help hold, wrap each brat in a cabbage leaf and place on the grill. Grill on both sides until the cabbage is more pliant and you’ve got grill marks. Remove from the heat and remove the toothpicks.
- Grill the insides of your buns and remove from heat once nicely browned (but not burned).
- To serve, place a cabbage-wrapped brat in a bun. Top with a healthy serving of caramelized onions, some banana peppers, a drizzling of mustard and a sprinkle of parsley. Repeat with the remaining 3 brats. Enjoy!