Say what you will about Saturday, but Sunday is when the pros play football and the other pros tailgate. So often, Sundays become so jam-packed with football (or race day) festivities what we’ve found a real need for quickie barbecue sauce (that’s also intensely flavorful, of course) for our burgers, ribs or wings—or to dip our chicken tenders in (homemade Chick-fil-A style). So here’s our go-to game day BBQ sauce that takes less than 30 minutes to make.
- 16 oz can of pureed tomatoes (also called tomato sauce)
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup dehydrated onions (also called minced or chopped onions in the spice aisle)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- Combine the tomatoes, rice wine vinegar and salt in a deep skillet or a saucepan and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve or place into Tupperware for easy transport to the tailgate. (You can safely store this, sealed in container, in the fridge for 5 days).