We first came up with this recipe for an appearance on ABC 7. It’s always great to see the ABC crew. They’re such great people and it’s always such a treat to be there (and then, of course, feed them after we wrap)!
As for this recipe specifically, think Mexican cuisine meets southern cookin’. It’s a food marriage you’ll want to revisit again and again!
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced width-wise into 1/2 – 1” strips
- 3 tablespoons Hungry Fan® Barbecue Spice Blend
- 1/2 cup Pomì tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 flour or corn tortillas
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- 1 cup Romaine lettuce, sliced into thin strips
- 1/3 cup red onions, finely diced
- 1/4 cup 2% Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Season chicken strips with 1 tablespoon Hungry Fan Barbecue Blends and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of BBQ blend with the tomato sauce, Worcestershire and brown sugar. Mix well and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat for one minute.
- Add in the seasoned chicken and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the barbecue sauce and continue to saut for another 5-7 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. (You can also grill the chicken instead, brushing the sauce on repeatedly as the chicken cooks).
- Remove from heat.
- To plate the tacos, top each tortilla with a healthy portion of chicken, using a slotted spoon to drain off excess sauce.
- Top with black beans, lettuce and onions to taste.
- Then add a dollop (about a tablespoon per taco) of Greek yogurt.
- Drizzle with the barbecue sauce and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.